Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Friends we need to know!!

I discovered something about myself today.  An article at the Toronto Star challenged my sense of my own being.  I have to interpret my own competency.    http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1137874--why-incompetent-people-are-too-incompetent-to-know-they-re-incompetent?bn=1#article 

Are humans questioning what is happening in their world?  The impacts of the internet has help us to look at ourselves. It has the potential to challenge and assist humans to confront or use critical questioning as to what they believe they know with what they actually know.  An example of misplaced assumptions in Canadian parliamentarians filled the House of Commons with mea-culpas as some realized some incidental truths of what they thought they knew, had to be confessed only to find out what they claimed a few days before as truth was false.  The Vikileak and Anonymous related to issues in some way creates a level of mis-trust that leaves everyone's integrity in question.   What appeared  yesterday as attempts to "save face" perhaps will provide a saving grace that will reduce their ego's impact on the denial of truth and what is spoken.  Consider  the possibilities of the internet becoming the "new Parliament of the Canadian People" and the impact on the current institutions and procedures.

I sense Parker Palmer in his description of "standing in the tragic gap" may have an insight we can use. His call to introspection of our living and using community to as part of the reflection model may offer a way forward.  Watch the video



It seems to me that with opportunities to gather people from all over the world in conversation small groups the world could be changed dramatically for the better.  If each of us was to treat everyone as a friend and others as a friend I haven't got to know yet we could make a difference.  I want to thank the person I did not know across the table at a pancake breakfast - ask me the question - "What will you be doing with the rest of the day?"   A good way to enter deeper into relationship with those we do not know as friends.

Hope you see new ways to encounter others in your life!  Would you recommend a community that is welcoming and challenging?

Still wondering

No comments: